Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Shiny Object Makes the Heart Go Pitter-Patter

“FRUGAL fatigue.” You have it? You know what it is, right? The condition – as defined by one of the commentators on CNBC's “Fast Money” – characterized by a weariness of being frugal and thus wanting to spend money. Of a great desire to pony up for something a bit more substantial than toothpaste and toilet paper. According to the “Fast Money” guy, many Americans are tired of T&T and crave SONY&DKNY&BMW&I-PHONE & the like. This being December, FF is probably taking a huge toll on lots of folk.

Yours Truly, on a strict money diet for many moons now, is not suffering from FF. But I would be remiss if I did not do my patriotic duty and lend a hand to my fellow Americans who are agitating to furiously and, no doubt, responsibly spend for the holidays. Over the next several days I will introduce a product (or brand) a day that I would buy for myself or someone else if I were spending (and could afford to, of course).


The metallic turtleneck dress from the Ralph Lauren Blue Label collection is on sale at ralphlauren.com for $374, down from $498. Photo courtesy of ralphlauren.com.


Let’s see, Gift No. 3:

Besides meeting Constance Victory, whom I introduced the other day (See, Monday, 14 Dec.), another highlight of the Vogue party to benefit Free Arts NYC at the Ralph Lauren salon at Saks Fifth Avenue was admiring a metallic turtleneck dress from RL’s Blue Label collection.

When I first clapped eyes on it, my heart rate increased and my blood pressure rose too many points. The minx of a dress was fitted on a headless mannequin not at all trying to bring attention to itself. In fact, it was paired with a shearling-trim white satin jacket, also from BL. One would think the self-possessed jacket would have caught my eye. The dress (pictured above) is not the sort of garment that most would notice at first blush, the urban chic that is a touchstone of BL, notwithstanding. Perhaps, though, it was the touches of modernity and the eclectic edge, also character traits of BL. Could it be a simple case of love, which is often difficult to put just the right words to? Its only embellishment is the shine from the metallic. The length is smartly just above the knee. And while the dress is fitted, it is not tight – subtly skimming the curves to create a flattering silhouette on most physiques.

A few others at the party liked it, too, after I pointed it out. They nodded with unconcealed interest as I jawed about how I would treat it like black and wear it with just about every color on the wheel. I imagined it at a black-tie affair and a New Year’s Eve party. On a date, at a wedding and out to dinner. With leggings and flat-fronted skinny jeans. The longer I admired it the more occasions I conjured up to wear it.

Several days later, the dress was still on the brain. Several weeks later, the dress is still on the brain. No, I won’t buy it, even though it’s on sale now – marked down from $498 to $374 at ralphlauren.com – remember the money diet? But I can pen an ode to it, can’t I?

Learn more about Ralph Lauren’s Blue Label collection and the whole RL brand at ralphlauren.com. (Choose the country Web site from which you would like to shop/browse.) The metallic turtleneck dress can also be purchased and/or admired at Saks Fifth Avenue and many stores that carry the collection while supplies last ... Learn more about Free Arts NYC at freeartsnyc.org.

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
VEVLYN'S PEN: The Wright take on life by Vevlyn Wright is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License .
Based on a work at vevlynspen.com .
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at vevlyn1@yahoo.com .